James vs Lung Cancer

This is the unfolding of my story on a non-smoker fighting lung cancer. My medical team consists of Dr. Virender Sodhi of the Ayurvedic & Naturopathic Medical Clinic, Dr. Nick Chen, Dr. Mark Gignac & Nurse Jessica of the Seattle Cancer Treatment and Wellness Center, Dr. Alexander Sytman of Seattle Cardiology, and Dr. Ruben Trujillo of the Bio-Medical Clinic in Tijuana, Mexico. Beth is my wife and the focus of my healing. And all of you are my healers.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Dr. Olsen Yesterday, Dr. Sytman today...

I had an appointment with Dr. Olsen yesterday and things were a bit different (body language) from two weeks ago. He still didn't make eye contact but he did have more energy about him with more frequent smiles. Where I did see him late in the day last time, I had a 10:30 AM appointment this time. Maybe he was fresher since he just had his coffee. Dr. Olsen examined me and said things still checked out fine. He didn't detect any issues with the heart and lung functions. He felt that there has been an equalibrium in fluid pressure within the heart sack and that there would be a much slower pace of fluid buildup for now. He still didn't think there was a great need to drain it off at this point and said he doesn't need to see me for another month unless something came up, like pain or labored breathing. I didn't press him for much since he seemed to be consistent with what he said the last time. Also, I still had the second opinion with Dr. Sytman.

Today, Beth and I went in to see Dr. Sytman, the appointment was at 3 PM, but we waited until about 4:30 PM to see him. Dr. Sytman went over my history again and then gave me an examination. I shared with him everything Dr. Olsen had told me and Dr. Sytman agreed with many of the things I was told. Then we talked about my concerns and how I didn't like the pressure in my chest but wanted to do what was best for my heart. Dr. Sytman took my concerns into greater consideration but was still saying that anytime a doctor works around the heart, there is always potential for side effects and things going wrong. His first order of business was "do no harm." He also took into consideration my desire that when the heart does finally get drained off, I didn't want to do anything too invasive requiring me to stay in the hospital for more than a couple of days, taking me of the healing process. Dr. Sytman than discussed a newer procedure that is not common to the west coast. He said the procedure involves using a balloon to tear open a hole in the heart sack creating the window. The balloon would be inserted following the pericardiocentesis, filled with air where it creates a small tear in the heart sack, and then removed. He said he has performed one of these to date. Dr. Sytman said that if there is existing inflamation around the heart, removing the fluid would likely cause pain when the sack and heart come into contact. When he did do his exam, he did detect some inflamation. So in preparation of eventually draining the fluid, he wanted to see if we can reduce the existing inflamation so he put me on an anti-inflamatory drug, Colchicine, and wanted to see me next week. From what I have learned, I will be a little more patient in getting this drainage done. I guess as long as my heart and lungs function just fine, I can get along and continue the chemo treatments.

Tomorrow I get my 8th chemo treatment. Yeah, its on a Thursday this week. This should allow Beth and I to get started for California on Friday morning. I will try to get a blog update following chemo because I might not be able to do any updates while in California.

On a side note, my coworkers at the office pooled their money together to get Beth and I a gift certificate to Lucky Palate, a place that prepares and delivers vegetarian food. This will take a little off our shoulders when preparing meals. I much appreciate what my coworkers do for me and Beth and I give give them all our thanks and love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home