James vs Lung Cancer

This is the unfolding of my story on a non-smoker fighting lung cancer. My medical team consists of Dr. Virender Sodhi of the Ayurvedic & Naturopathic Medical Clinic, Dr. Nick Chen, Dr. Mark Gignac & Nurse Jessica of the Seattle Cancer Treatment and Wellness Center, Dr. Alexander Sytman of Seattle Cardiology, and Dr. Ruben Trujillo of the Bio-Medical Clinic in Tijuana, Mexico. Beth is my wife and the focus of my healing. And all of you are my healers.

Friday, December 23, 2005

My first Christmas gift of the year, my 8th treatment and another dose of Avastin...

So there is really not much to report. I have 8 in the books and looking at the 9th next week. In the mean time, Rebecca is lining up my scans to really see what Santa brought me. Hopefully a big can of "Wup Ass" on them cancer cells!

I told Dr. Chue about the swelling and shrinking lymph nodes in my neck and groin. He said that the chemo is killing a lot of cells at this time and the lymphatic system is draining off the garbage more than usual. He said this will cause the lymph nodes to swell and shrink as the garbage is being processed out. He also said that the swelling and shrinking will be achy at times. I also told him about the frequent bloody noses and he said it is more to do with the weather and that a few other patients are having problems as well. He gave me some tips on how to help this. Finally, I passed him the bottle of Cochilcine that Dr. Sytman put me on. Dr. Chue said no, stop taking these. He then said that if Dr. Sytman's goal is to reduce inflamation from around the heart, then to use Celebrex. Dr. Chue was too concerned with the adverse effects Cochilcine has on the immune system at a time when chemo is doing a pretty brutal job as it is. He aslo cited a study that was taking place on the anti-tumor effects in lung cancer patients of celebrex right before the whole Vioxx mess broke out. Since celebrex was closely related to vioxx, the study was stopped but early evidence was promising. Dr. Chue is expecting the study to eventually resume now that celebrex has gotten some distance from the vioxx fiasco. I am still a little skeptical of celebrex, it is closely related to vioxx in my mind, but if it reduces both inflamation and tumors, then I see a little more benefit for the risk. I recognize the problem with vioxx is it may damage the heart, and maybe celebrex can do the same, but what I do know is my heart is in grave danger now from the cancer and my first order of business is to get that cancer to back off. It has occurred to me that I could simply be robbing Peter to pay Paul and that Peter is eventually gonna come knocking on the door wanting paybacks, but I have to focus on my most pressing need now and address those other consequences when their time comes. My long term focused goal is to get this cancer in remission, which may require a miracle, and I will do everything in my power and knowledge to prevent recurrence and other issues from developing. I will take precious care of my body and continue to put the anti-cancer foods into it only.

My Christmas message to you is, take precious care of your body now so that you don't have to rob Peter to pay Paul! Its not hard, as Dr. Sodhi says, get many good deep breaths of air a day, drink 6-8 glasses of good water a day, and walk a little bit each week, thus people like Dr. Sodhi can take more vacations! This actually seems easy, but we all know that its tough to integrate into our daily thinking. By the time we finish off our morning coffee, we are 2 glasses of water short and dehydrated, so make that 4 glasses down. By the time we get home, we make dinner and realize its too late for the walk. Eventually we nestle into the couch and put on the TV and then think, "Wow, I can finally take a breath for once in the day!" For me, I drink that water, it comes natural now that I take almost 100 herbs and supplements a day! I do my breathing while driving to and from work, and extra bonus while meditating, and I just look for every reason to walk, either at lunch at work or going to PCC to pick up petty things that we could always get later or even parking as far away from the store as I can. Staying hydrated and excercising pumps your lymphatic system and it is your immune system! Unlike your blood vessels, there is no pump for the lymphatic system, it requires you to move about. For those of you that ventured to the mall this holiday season and joined the shopping madness, I think you are well ahead of the game, now relieve that damn stress and have a merry Christmas and the happiest of holidays, however you celebrate it!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 12/27/2005 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow- thanks for the Xmas message! I never really realized that about the lymph system- I know I need to do all of those things, and I am, but that is definitely another way to look at it. I'm drinking my water right now!
    Hope you are having a good time in Cali!
    Jenny

     

Post a Comment

<< Home