Chemo treatment 2.10...
I am late to post about chemo treatment 2.10 and the happenings because I haven't been feeling well since last Thursday. In all honestly, I simply haven't been feeling well for the past month and its really catching up to me. It has knocked all motivation out of me to get online here and post some updates. It has also made it tough getting into the office early enough in the day. When I go, its usually been around lunch time if not a little later than that. I think my biggest trouble has been the long term effects of being on chemo and combine it with a tough allergy season and I am plum beat. Most days, I just want to climb into the recliner until bed.
So chemo treatment 2.10 went ok last week. I didn't sleep well the night before and really felt beat up from it. When I got in, I was given the weekly form to describe how I felt over the past week and if there where any new symptoms to describe, I call this the "bitch form." I really filled up every nook and cranny of that form with many irritants. My tongue has been raw with sores making eating unenjoyable. I woke up that morning to what felt like heavy pressure in my chest and many aches around my ribs and back. My sinuses were still killing me giving me frequent headaches and I was still getting some cramps in my abdomen. However, when George ran the vitals on me everything looked fine. My bp was pretty good at 128/74, pulse was still high at 98 bmp, blood O2 at 97%, but I did drop a couple of pounds at 198 lbs. The weight loss was probably from the fear of eating with such a raw tongue. Somedays, it was easier just to have a couple of bites of yogurt until Beth prepared something warm and delicious. When she does that, I go for seconds since I might as well eat when the appetite is wetted.
George put me in a private room, the one's with a bed and a window, and I sat there feeling lowly until Jessica came in. She said she looked at my weekly bitch form and asked how I was feeling. I told her not so good but seeing the vitals I also told her that I am probably just being cranky. But I did also tell her that constantly not feeling so well was catching up to me and it would just be nice to feel good for a while. To my amazement, she asked if I would like to take the week off. I had to think about if for a bit but also thought that at the point I was 3 treatments away from completing the cycle. So I told her no and lets get this cycle done. So she drew the blood and hooked me up to the hydration juice. On her way out, I heard her say something to Dr. Chen.
A few minutes later, Dr. Chen came in with a student naturalpath in tow, Susan, from Bastyr University. Dr. Chen reviewed the weekly bitch form as well and showed some concern. We started talking about how I was feeling and I told him that since I didn't sleep well the night before, the form really became a cranky bitchfest. Dr. Chen seemed to understand and gave me the exam. He said I was sounding good and the fluid around the lungs may have come down a bit. He wanted me to continue with the water pills. We talked briefly about how I was worn out from feeling bad all the time and how I was ready to feel good for a change. I wanted to talk to him about the chances of taking 2-3 weeks off after the end of this cycle. However, with his student in tow, I didn't want to get into it, I figured I would talk to him more the next week. At least I planted the seed of taking a little bit of a break. But of course, if I get a break, so does the cancer. So I will leave it up to Dr. Chen.
So to add salt to the wounds, Jessica came back with the blood counts before Dr. Chen was done with me. My white cells were below the minimum so she asked Dr. Chen if I should start a booster drug, Leukine. Dr. Chen put me on the drug which required me to inject it into the fat on my abdomen for 3 consecutive nights. I did this on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. Fortunately, I don't have a problem with needles but it did leave me sore at the injection site for a few minutes.
The rest of the chemotherapy went fine. I did do my expensive Avastin cocktail. I also met with Dr. Gignac. I was able to run through the laundry list of complaints with Dr. Gignac as well. He had some new stuff for me, one which I got started on that afternoon. Maybe when I am feeling more up to it, I will go into detail of this new stuff. However, I will soon need a nebulizer.
So, here it is Tuesday night and I am still not feeling good. About the only time I get a little break is on Sunday nights when I meet with my prayer/meditation circle for a little spiritual juju. Getting together with this group has a way of giving me a reprieve for the night until I wake up the next morning. I was telling them during the last meeting and we agreed we should meet more frequently. What a great bunch! However, we will stick with Sunday nights for now and I will see about getting a chemo break here soon. One good thing did happen this week, my sister and brother-in-law, had their 3rd child on Monday. A baby boy weighing in at over 10 lbs! Everything went well and mother and son are doing fine. This is my first nephew so I am pretty excited for us all. I can't wait to see him, which will be next month at the wedding. He does not have a name yet so mom and dad better get one quick or he will be tagged, "hey, dude..."
I am late to post about chemo treatment 2.10 and the happenings because I haven't been feeling well since last Thursday. In all honestly, I simply haven't been feeling well for the past month and its really catching up to me. It has knocked all motivation out of me to get online here and post some updates. It has also made it tough getting into the office early enough in the day. When I go, its usually been around lunch time if not a little later than that. I think my biggest trouble has been the long term effects of being on chemo and combine it with a tough allergy season and I am plum beat. Most days, I just want to climb into the recliner until bed.
So chemo treatment 2.10 went ok last week. I didn't sleep well the night before and really felt beat up from it. When I got in, I was given the weekly form to describe how I felt over the past week and if there where any new symptoms to describe, I call this the "bitch form." I really filled up every nook and cranny of that form with many irritants. My tongue has been raw with sores making eating unenjoyable. I woke up that morning to what felt like heavy pressure in my chest and many aches around my ribs and back. My sinuses were still killing me giving me frequent headaches and I was still getting some cramps in my abdomen. However, when George ran the vitals on me everything looked fine. My bp was pretty good at 128/74, pulse was still high at 98 bmp, blood O2 at 97%, but I did drop a couple of pounds at 198 lbs. The weight loss was probably from the fear of eating with such a raw tongue. Somedays, it was easier just to have a couple of bites of yogurt until Beth prepared something warm and delicious. When she does that, I go for seconds since I might as well eat when the appetite is wetted.
George put me in a private room, the one's with a bed and a window, and I sat there feeling lowly until Jessica came in. She said she looked at my weekly bitch form and asked how I was feeling. I told her not so good but seeing the vitals I also told her that I am probably just being cranky. But I did also tell her that constantly not feeling so well was catching up to me and it would just be nice to feel good for a while. To my amazement, she asked if I would like to take the week off. I had to think about if for a bit but also thought that at the point I was 3 treatments away from completing the cycle. So I told her no and lets get this cycle done. So she drew the blood and hooked me up to the hydration juice. On her way out, I heard her say something to Dr. Chen.
A few minutes later, Dr. Chen came in with a student naturalpath in tow, Susan, from Bastyr University. Dr. Chen reviewed the weekly bitch form as well and showed some concern. We started talking about how I was feeling and I told him that since I didn't sleep well the night before, the form really became a cranky bitchfest. Dr. Chen seemed to understand and gave me the exam. He said I was sounding good and the fluid around the lungs may have come down a bit. He wanted me to continue with the water pills. We talked briefly about how I was worn out from feeling bad all the time and how I was ready to feel good for a change. I wanted to talk to him about the chances of taking 2-3 weeks off after the end of this cycle. However, with his student in tow, I didn't want to get into it, I figured I would talk to him more the next week. At least I planted the seed of taking a little bit of a break. But of course, if I get a break, so does the cancer. So I will leave it up to Dr. Chen.
So to add salt to the wounds, Jessica came back with the blood counts before Dr. Chen was done with me. My white cells were below the minimum so she asked Dr. Chen if I should start a booster drug, Leukine. Dr. Chen put me on the drug which required me to inject it into the fat on my abdomen for 3 consecutive nights. I did this on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. Fortunately, I don't have a problem with needles but it did leave me sore at the injection site for a few minutes.
The rest of the chemotherapy went fine. I did do my expensive Avastin cocktail. I also met with Dr. Gignac. I was able to run through the laundry list of complaints with Dr. Gignac as well. He had some new stuff for me, one which I got started on that afternoon. Maybe when I am feeling more up to it, I will go into detail of this new stuff. However, I will soon need a nebulizer.
So, here it is Tuesday night and I am still not feeling good. About the only time I get a little break is on Sunday nights when I meet with my prayer/meditation circle for a little spiritual juju. Getting together with this group has a way of giving me a reprieve for the night until I wake up the next morning. I was telling them during the last meeting and we agreed we should meet more frequently. What a great bunch! However, we will stick with Sunday nights for now and I will see about getting a chemo break here soon. One good thing did happen this week, my sister and brother-in-law, had their 3rd child on Monday. A baby boy weighing in at over 10 lbs! Everything went well and mother and son are doing fine. This is my first nephew so I am pretty excited for us all. I can't wait to see him, which will be next month at the wedding. He does not have a name yet so mom and dad better get one quick or he will be tagged, "hey, dude..."
1 Comments:
At 4/27/2006 11:19 AM,
Trena said…
Jacob cannot wait to meet his Uncle James either! We are counting down the days until we see you and celebrate your marriage!
Post a Comment
<< Home