Sorry About the Slow Update, Again...
I had quite an eventful week last week that required a hospital stay from Tuesday to Thursday. I had the fluid drained off my heart again and it did bring some relief. However, the pressure left my right lung a mess and the draining the fluid off resulted in heart arrhythmia. So, Dr. Sytman kept me in to keep an eye on things. A beta-blocker drug got my heart back to normal but Dr. Sytman brought in Dr. Cary (a pulminologist) to help me with the lung. Dr. Cary said the pressure from the heart fluid caused my lower right lobe of the lung to partially collapse. This in turn didn't allow for the lung to fully inflate allowing mucus to collect at the bottom which caused breathing difficulty and promoting an environment ripe for bronchitis and pneumonia. He put me on a nebulizer medication that would let the lung muscles to relax and open up the airways. Once this started, I coughed up some pretty nasty stuff. I supplied a sample to be tested for bronchitis or pneumonia but haven't learned of the results yet. I was pretty demanding to get out of the hospital on Thursday and didn't have the patience to wait around to find out. Both Dr. Sytman and Dr. Cary sensed this and allowed me to be discharged. Both sent me home with a variety of drugs, including more antibiotics, to work on through the weekend.
The draining of the heart, or pericardiocentesis, went pretty well. I did experience some pain in my left arm during the procedure so half way through Dr. Sytman decided against putting in the window. This, of course, bummed me out because I don't want the fluid to build back up. However, due to the pain I felt, Dr. Sytman thought that either my heart or the sack around it was inflamed and putting in the window could cause me pain for some time. So as it stands, I feel pretty good getting that pressure off my chest and getting to breathe. Through the weekend, I have been able to lie flat in bed now allowing me to get a full nights rest. Its incredible to get to breathe and sleep again! I follow up with both doctors this week on Wednesday.
Taking a step back...
I got the results of the PET scan and it wasn't good news. The cancer has progressed on me and my SUV numbers have come back up. I don't have the energy this evening to go into great detail so I will some it up quickly. Cancer nodes have now developed in my left lung, more bone lesions have developed on my ribs, spinal column and hip, and more cancer activity is seen in my lymph system in neck and chest. Most of the SUV scores have returned to the 4-7 range in these active areas. As it stands, I am no longer doing the chemo I was doing in the first line of defense and moved now to the second line. I have started Tarceva and will continue with the Avastin. Dr. Chen is giving me some recovery time and then we will start a new chemo combination. If all goes well, I will be on Tarceva and Avastin for a few weeks before starting more chemo. However, the PET scan results indicate to me that I shouldn't wait too long.
I am sorry not to share too much detail and some of my thoughts concerning this right now. Just know that with the sleeping and breathing being easier, my fighting spirit is strengthening and I am refocusing on making some improvements and eventually winning this. I am not beat yet just set back a little. I am over the dissappointment of these results and looking forward to better days. I will be busy this week with wedding preparations and family and friends coming to town. I am not sure when I will be able to give updates but I will do my best. I need your prayers, best wishes, and positive energy now more than ever so I find it important to me to keep you all informed on my health. Thank you for being here for me...
I had quite an eventful week last week that required a hospital stay from Tuesday to Thursday. I had the fluid drained off my heart again and it did bring some relief. However, the pressure left my right lung a mess and the draining the fluid off resulted in heart arrhythmia. So, Dr. Sytman kept me in to keep an eye on things. A beta-blocker drug got my heart back to normal but Dr. Sytman brought in Dr. Cary (a pulminologist) to help me with the lung. Dr. Cary said the pressure from the heart fluid caused my lower right lobe of the lung to partially collapse. This in turn didn't allow for the lung to fully inflate allowing mucus to collect at the bottom which caused breathing difficulty and promoting an environment ripe for bronchitis and pneumonia. He put me on a nebulizer medication that would let the lung muscles to relax and open up the airways. Once this started, I coughed up some pretty nasty stuff. I supplied a sample to be tested for bronchitis or pneumonia but haven't learned of the results yet. I was pretty demanding to get out of the hospital on Thursday and didn't have the patience to wait around to find out. Both Dr. Sytman and Dr. Cary sensed this and allowed me to be discharged. Both sent me home with a variety of drugs, including more antibiotics, to work on through the weekend.
The draining of the heart, or pericardiocentesis, went pretty well. I did experience some pain in my left arm during the procedure so half way through Dr. Sytman decided against putting in the window. This, of course, bummed me out because I don't want the fluid to build back up. However, due to the pain I felt, Dr. Sytman thought that either my heart or the sack around it was inflamed and putting in the window could cause me pain for some time. So as it stands, I feel pretty good getting that pressure off my chest and getting to breathe. Through the weekend, I have been able to lie flat in bed now allowing me to get a full nights rest. Its incredible to get to breathe and sleep again! I follow up with both doctors this week on Wednesday.
Taking a step back...
I got the results of the PET scan and it wasn't good news. The cancer has progressed on me and my SUV numbers have come back up. I don't have the energy this evening to go into great detail so I will some it up quickly. Cancer nodes have now developed in my left lung, more bone lesions have developed on my ribs, spinal column and hip, and more cancer activity is seen in my lymph system in neck and chest. Most of the SUV scores have returned to the 4-7 range in these active areas. As it stands, I am no longer doing the chemo I was doing in the first line of defense and moved now to the second line. I have started Tarceva and will continue with the Avastin. Dr. Chen is giving me some recovery time and then we will start a new chemo combination. If all goes well, I will be on Tarceva and Avastin for a few weeks before starting more chemo. However, the PET scan results indicate to me that I shouldn't wait too long.
I am sorry not to share too much detail and some of my thoughts concerning this right now. Just know that with the sleeping and breathing being easier, my fighting spirit is strengthening and I am refocusing on making some improvements and eventually winning this. I am not beat yet just set back a little. I am over the dissappointment of these results and looking forward to better days. I will be busy this week with wedding preparations and family and friends coming to town. I am not sure when I will be able to give updates but I will do my best. I need your prayers, best wishes, and positive energy now more than ever so I find it important to me to keep you all informed on my health. Thank you for being here for me...
3 Comments:
At 5/17/2006 11:11 AM,
Anonymous said…
Jame we love you so much!! I am going to be sending you some REALLY good vibes on Sunday and I hope you feel wonderful, and all your family and friends arrive safely and you all have a great time! Give my congratulations and love to Beth, please!
Aloha, Katie Morse
At 5/19/2006 7:09 AM,
Anonymous said…
Hey James...much love goes out to you and Beth... I'm so sorry we can't be there for your wedding...all the best and prayers to you always...
V
At 5/21/2006 9:20 AM,
Anonymous said…
Hey James,
We're thinking about you everyday, sending you waves of positive vibes to help you make it through each day.
We're both really looking forward in sharing the love and joy of you and Beth joining together in marriage.
If love could cure anything I wish it could over power any ills of the physical heart. That would be awesome.
See ya in a few hours. It's gorgeous sunshine out here!
-Pam
Post a Comment
<< Home