James vs Lung Cancer

This is the unfolding of my story on a non-smoker fighting lung cancer. My medical team consists of Dr. Virender Sodhi of the Ayurvedic & Naturopathic Medical Clinic, Dr. Nick Chen, Dr. Mark Gignac & Nurse Jessica of the Seattle Cancer Treatment and Wellness Center, Dr. Alexander Sytman of Seattle Cardiology, and Dr. Ruben Trujillo of the Bio-Medical Clinic in Tijuana, Mexico. Beth is my wife and the focus of my healing. And all of you are my healers.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Hi all, this is Beth. As you may have noticed, the blog hasn't been updated in quite some time, so I wanted to post an update.

James has hit a rough patch in his battle and is currently back in the hospital, dealing with a few issues going on in his liver, pancreas and gall bladder. He's also had a very hard time eating and has lost more weight so he has started a program of interveneous nutrition to give his body what it needs to fight. He continues to build up fluid, this time in various pockets in his abdomen. All of this does cause pain, but I think we've finally found some good solutions to pain management that still leave him alert. There is a bit of a silver lining in the fact that his heart and lungs appear to be doing okay.

So like I said, it's tough going right now. In fact, one of the doctors at Swedish who is following James' care takes every opportunity to tell James how serious this all is. Today after this doc had left the room, James looks over at me and says "I hate that guy."

Dealing with this doctor is just like dealing with the countless statistics and medical reports we read. Yes, we see the numbers & statistics and we understand what they mean, and no, they're not the best news. But those numbers and this doctor know nothing of James, they know nothing of his fight, his determination and his will, all of which remain strong even if his body is weak. I look at him and even at his weakest moments I still see a fighter.

So the fight continues. We ask that you refrain from calling at this time (no cell phones allowed in the hospital) but please please please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Emails will probably go unanswered until he has access to a computer again. If you put something in the mail, I'll make sure he gets it.

8 Comments:

  • At 7/24/2006 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for updating this, Beth. James is a constant in my thoughts and prayers, and I love both of you very much.
    -Peace, Kevin-

     
  • At 7/24/2006 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The both of you are in our daily prayers. May blessings wash over you.
    Kevin and Vanessa

     
  • At 7/24/2006 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The both of you are in our daily prayers. May blessings wash over you.
    Kevin and Vanessa

     
  • At 7/24/2006 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for keeping us in the loop, Beth. Nicole and I are praying for you both, and the thoughts of all of us here at ERI are with you guys.

    Grace and peace be with you both.

    John Mc.

     
  • At 7/25/2006 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so glad you posted this. I was worried and have called and emailed him repeatedly. I am sure many people wanted to know (I know all of my friends did) and am sure he has a ton of backed up messages from friends. My families thoughts and prayers are with him and your family. KEEP FIGHTIN JAMES, WE LOVE YA BROTHER,
    Russ, Amber, Tristan and Isabel Wigart and many other brothers from the CAL POLY crew.

     
  • At 7/27/2006 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Much love.

    -- Ben and Lisa

     
  • At 7/28/2006 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    beth and james, thinking of you often with lots of love.
    -rachel

     
  • At 8/01/2006 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for the update Beth, Our You are both in our constant prayers and thoughts. Keep up the fight James!!! We Love you!!

    Tara

     

Post a Comment

<< Home