James vs Lung Cancer

This is the unfolding of my story on a non-smoker fighting lung cancer. My medical team consists of Dr. Virender Sodhi of the Ayurvedic & Naturopathic Medical Clinic, Dr. Nick Chen, Dr. Mark Gignac & Nurse Jessica of the Seattle Cancer Treatment and Wellness Center, Dr. Alexander Sytman of Seattle Cardiology, and Dr. Ruben Trujillo of the Bio-Medical Clinic in Tijuana, Mexico. Beth is my wife and the focus of my healing. And all of you are my healers.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I had that appointment with Dr. Sodhi yesterday and my parents came along. They have known that Dr. Sodhi has been my doctor for the past few years but never met him. They were surprised at how young he is and saw that he is a truly caring doctor. Dr. Sodhi was liking how I was looking but was concerned with my weekend insomnia. He would like to do a few relaxing therapies but it would require me to get over to Bellevue after my Friday afternoon chemo treatment. Getting across the 520 bridge on a late Friday afternoon is akin to getting cancer, you avoid it all costs. I am not sure if it can happen, it's been between 4-5 PM by the time I leave the clinic, but if there is a shot, I will try.

On a non-cancer note, Beth's mom joined us and my parents for dinner tonight. This is the first time they have met. For Beth's mom, Mary, she is half way there, she will eventually meet my dad and Share. The dinner went well and was very tasty, Tuna steaks from Trader Joe's, a big green, cancer fighting salad, red chard, and squash soup prepared by Beth. Pre-dinner, dinner time, and post dinner conversations went well and didn't touch much on my cancer. It was nice to talk about other things and not put much thought to the illness. I am not sure if it was still in the minds of anyone else, but for a moment, it seemed like it wasn't and that there is a life outside of the cancer. Everything went well so we have a happy ending to our version of "Meet the Fokkers." But then again, the meeting with the Matthiessens is still looming in that distant, dark Seattle sky! I am only kidding, that meeting will go just as well unless we start talking politics!

I was really tired going into the office for the safety training this morning. For some reason, I didn't sleep too well and it left me pretty groggy. I got into the office ready to start the training session but it was delayed until the new conference room furniture was delivered and set up. Eventually we got it going and it was a piece of cake from there. I actually found myself enjoying being there and helping Amanda train everyone. Again, I was focused on the training session and wasn't thinking about the cancer. This is why I am eagerly looking to get back to a regular work routine. I enjoy being at the office, everyone is more than a co-worker, they are friends and they enjoy me being there too. I guess you don't realize these things until a major illness causes one to disappear for awhile. Being at work helps to keep my mind on other things, maintains a sense of normalcy at a time when life is turned upside down, and as long as you are there living, you are not home dying. I guess that has a bit of a morbid tone too it but it rings true with just about anything in life. I was never one to stay home at the sign of any little sickness, I was stubborn to take days off and only would when I just physically couldn't do it. I hated staying home because boredom ruled the roost. Even a bad day at work is better than a boring day stuck at home. So again, if I am not out in the world living, I sure as hell am not getting anywhere stuck at home!

Even though I am tired and feeling a bit crappy, today was a good day...so was yesterday...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home